Monday, June 3, 2013

In Season: Green Beans

Have I mentioned I love this time of year? Mostly because all of my favorite foods are in season. Which means they are not only tastier but usually cheaper too. Winning. Green beans are hands down one of my favorite green vegetables. I could probably eat them raw for breakfast. But that wouldn't make for a very interesting blog post. Instead, I've added garlic, soy and bread crumbs. Now we're talkin.


















What You'll Need:
Generous 1/2lb green beans
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons butter

























What to Do:
Simmer green beans in a shallow pan filled 1/2 way with water. Don't completely cover the beans. Add the soy sauce and cook just until tender (I like them crunchy, personally). Meanwhile, saute breadcrumbs in butter until brown. Add garlic for a minute and remove from heat. Be careful not to burn the garlic! 

Drain the beans and spoon the breadcrumb mixture over the top. You could add onions (fried or sauted) to these too. I recently served these with meatloaf but this would be a great side dish for salmon or chicken too. So how to you like your beans?

No comments:

Post a Comment