Sunday, August 4, 2013

Vidalia Plum Relish




















My husband is not a very good southerner. I mean, he doesn't like peaches. Not even in pie. And we live in the peach capitol of the south. Sigh. But he does love sweet onions so I thought I'd make a version of this relish with plums instead of my go-to peaches. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between the peach relish and the plum, but hey, whatever it takes to get him to eat it, right?

What You'll Need:
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup gin or vodka
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1 pound vidalia onions, diced
1 pound plums, pitted and diced
2 cloves of garlic, sliced


















What to Do:
Bring the water, sugar, vinegar, alcohol and spices to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir ocasionally to make sure the sugar doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add the plums, onions and garlic and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 












Pour the relish into jars and refrigerate. This recipe make about 24 oz and should keep for a few weeks in the fridge. I love serving this over pork roast but it would also be great with chicken. You can easily can this and add it to fall dishes and it makes a great southern housewarming gift :)

No comments:

Post a Comment